UTG Quad Picatinny rail system for AK-47's

Guns, Guns, Guns

Moderator: Moderators

UTG Quad Picatinny rail system for AK-47's

Postby Plague Lord » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:01 pm

I've had an AK for a number of years now and recently have been looking at a way to mount optics. Instead of going with a standard AK rail system attachement which would mount 1"+ over and to the left of center above the receiver dust cover. I wanted something that mounted lower/ forward and on the center line.

That left
dust cover mounted rails = crap,
scout mounts that replace the stock rear iron site = overly expensive
or
Forward mounted rail systems that replace the front hand guard.

After looking through a good deal of them I realized 85% of them are resin cast ie plastic. I wasn't real interested in a resin forgrip because of strength issues. That pretty much left a few billet rail systems, one of the cheapest being the UTG quad rail for AKs

Have to say the piece is fairly well built and installed quickly, the ONLY issue I had was the rail tended to push the cleaning rod upwards at the reciever end. The rod then had to fit through a reciever spacer from UTG which it did. But the spacer when pushed up like this caused the rod to engage a rib on the bottom side of the trunion and wouldn't allow the rod to slide into it's front seat. This required me to slightly drill out the hole on the UTG provided receiver spacer. Over all install including the drilling was about 30 minutes. Top rail made a nice spot for a scout mounted 30mm red dot and the bottom rail works perfectly for ar-15 style vertical forgrips.

Smith and Wesson 3:57: "And lo, the LORD did calleth down upon the unrighteous the fire, the brimstone, and the 120-grain hollowpoints. And the unrighteous did suffer the Hydroshok ammo, and did perish. And the LORD did sayeth, 'Not so lucky, eh punk?'. Amen."

http://www.IronStaff.net
Plague Lord
Blood Guard

Postby Illuminus {BG} » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:40 pm

I would be interested in going shooting sometime with ya Plague, i would kick down for ammo of course...
Illuminus {BG}
Blood Guard

Postby Plague Lord » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:58 pm

spring time man, spring time!

I'll let you know when I plan on going though.

Gots me a bunch of 7.62 tracer and .308 tracer looking to get shot up. Plus a couple hundred rounds of FMJ in both and 1000+ in .22LR, 200+ in .22L, and 100 or so in both .22short and .22HiVelocity. Zipper bag of 9milly to.

Oh I bought a henry lever action I just never posted it up.

Smith and Wesson 3:57: "And lo, the LORD did calleth down upon the unrighteous the fire, the brimstone, and the 120-grain hollowpoints. And the unrighteous did suffer the Hydroshok ammo, and did perish. And the LORD did sayeth, 'Not so lucky, eh punk?'. Amen."

http://www.IronStaff.net
Plague Lord
Blood Guard

Return to Firearms