Badger Paintball Gets Front Page

Talk about Paintball

Moderator: Moderators

Badger Paintball Gets Front Page

Postby Despoiler » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:22 pm

Go Badgers!! I am going to have to look these guys up.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/top/inde ... 84&ntpid=2
Last edited by Despoiler on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Despoiler
Site Admin

Postby Phobos » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:44 pm

They suck. The real action is at national tournaments, not a college run league. Shit, team Ballistic owned the NLPL league last year, and they did not win a medal. I guess because the badgers are doing well in hockey, they decided to put paintball up there as well. Go figure.

In the college league, they may be able to hang. But they get there ass kicked in any decent tournament. The last time I saw them play was last year, and I think they took 8th place in a novice tourney. I played against them when I was subbing in for Team Obscene, and we ruled them every which way. They used to have Shannon playing on there team with Jim, and they stunk something awful.

We had slow motion footage of shannin bouncing off of a tree during a tournament. Funny as hell shit.

Must be a slow news day. At least they put them on the front page tho, good PR for the sport. We have some outstanding local tems that have been playing for a while. Many a player at apocalypse turned pro, or amateur division.
Phobos
Dominator

Postby Despoiler » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:51 pm

Well college sports are their own league regardless of how they stack up against leagues outside of college. The only difference here is in paintball you don't have to play through school sponsored leagues to become a pro-caliber player. In other words you play high school ball, play college ball, then go pro like most sports It's probably not going to change unless the college tourneys get held in college facilities where they can start getting spectator revenues.

I saw today the the University of Tennessee announced they will be entering the NPPL this season.
Despoiler
Site Admin

Postby Phobos » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:39 pm

I would agree with that. I dont think paintball will ever be a spectator sport though. I personally like the open class style. More like golf. As long as you got the skills, you can play the field. But either way i'm cool with it.

Most teams dont have the sponsorship, and endorsements to travel to each PSP / NPPL event to get ranked. I think that's a big problem with the sport right now. There trying to address it with getting media coverage, and sponsorships to endorse teams. But the plain simple fact is paintball is boring as hell to watch. It's almost impossible to determine where the action is because the projectiles are not visible on screen, and angles / movement is hard to see when your not in the players perspective. You pretty much just see a bunch of noises from the guns firing, and people moving and being eliminated. At least in golf you can see the shot, and the ball. ;)

Shit, when I've got to tournaments I hang out most of the time bullshitting people, and fucking around. Mainly because after you have reffed a ton of games, and watched / photographed a ton of tournaments, it's boring shit. ;)
Phobos
Dominator

Return to Paintball