Just thought about something today.

Talk about Paintball

Moderator: Moderators

Just thought about something today.

Postby Phobos » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:58 am

Paintball prices are totaly out of whack. Considering I just wrote the thread about selling my Mac Mini, I got to thinking.

A computer is created using a highly complex process, on a nanometer scale, with extremly expensive equipment, and expertise. They truly are a work of modern art, and are at the cutting edge of technology known to man today. A new Apple Powerbook price includes the research, design, creation, packaging, and distribution of each individual component with final price tag of ~$1,500.

A new electronic paintball gun with a simple circuit board costs $1400.

What gives? How can companies get away with prices like this?

Simple. People pay for it. I mean come on, each gun probably costs the company in about $200 to make. The markup on these things are extreme. Considering the ball cap at 15bps, an E-Spyder can perform on the same level as a Dye Matrix 2006.

When will the prices start coming down?
Phobos
Dominator

Postby RedKayos » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:22 pm

NEVER!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

RedKayos
Blood Guard

Postby Despoiler » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:23 am

I agree Phobos. I think the more ridiculous thing though is how badly the guns depreciate in value even though they are every bit as capable as the newer models. I mean we are at a point where you can't get any faster w/o cheating.
Despoiler
Site Admin

Postby Phobos » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:42 am

I'm still using my DM4. There's no reason to buy a new gun. My setup has a ramping chip installed for PSP, & NXL ball.

Why would I pay $1,300 for a marker that's maybe an inch smaller, and a pound lighter?

People need to start innovating, instead of rehashing the same old shit trying to make a buck. How about improving the regulator (The #1 problem with every paintball gun i've ever owned)?
Phobos
Dominator

Postby Despoiler » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:48 am

I have a Shocktech DM3 and I can't sell it to save my life. I bought the thing used for $900 and now I can't sell it for $400 2 years later. Not that it's wholely necessary at this point. That thing rails and it's only got the Gun20 chip. I get a Mushashi M5 board and it's even better.
Despoiler
Site Admin

Postby Phobos » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:09 am

On EBay DM4's are going for sub $500 now.

Dye has become a car manufacturer. Releasing another version of the same car year after year, with nothing much but small improvements and looks with no substance.

I for one will not purchase that marker on principal. The matrix improved the paintball gun by having a completly enclosed bolt (instead of open bolt designs that were prone to failure by getting dirty). We need something on that scale again in paintball.
Phobos
Dominator

Return to Paintball