For those not yet rid of the EQ bug...

Talk about EverCrack

Moderator: Moderators

For those not yet rid of the EQ bug...

Postby BitHead0023 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:30 am

I've been mildly interested in the whole EQEmulator scene for some time, setting up an account and puttering around on a few servers, but recently I've come across a server so well-done that I can actually play normally on it... Winter's Roar.

http://www.wintersroar.com/index.php?page=join

It's not quite complete regarding Live content. Basically they have zones mainly from Odus, Velious, and Luclin, with a few others thrown in the mix (like Unrest, Nurga, etc) and some planes. It's not Norrath, per se... they have an involved storyline, different names for zones along with differences in mobs and loot. They have an expansion in the works that is going to add back one of the missing continents, with a RP justification for the change (basically the missing stuff is under the rule of the evil overlord ATM).

As far as playability, it's pretty close to Live. I get a few more crashes on zoning than on live, and lag gets bad on raids but it's very playable otherwise. Grouping and raiding does go on, and so do GM events (just participated in a Monster Lotto last night, where someone was picked to /random and the number that turned up was the monster that was spawned for all the gathered folks to fight. The people running it seem pretty cool... they have a few overly strict rules, perhaps (ie: regarding naming) but it IS their server.

Oh yeah, regarding PVP... they just implemented a new system of Deities, and apparently they're going to be putting in some sort of Deity-based PVP. I believe PVP already exists in some form with certain zones (Shadowhaven, the various arenas) being red.

Anyway it's a bit of a bitch to set up, so feel free to drop me a line if you try it out & have trouble. The main issue is you have to be on a certain revision of the EQ code and then patch it with the WR files. You modify your files so it doesn't go out & patch from SOE automatically, because if you patch up to the current Live revsion you won't be able to log into the Emu. I could burn a copy of my working version if anyone needs it.
"It takes an idiot to do cool things... that's why it's cool" - Haruka, FLCL
BitHead0023
Blood Guard

Winter's Roar expansion on the way. Antonica and epics!!!

Postby BitHead0023 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:09 pm

Trail of Tears Beta

As most of you know, we have been working on an expansion to Winter's Roar these last few weeks that will feature such things as all Antonica zones (including new starting cities for most races), a storyline evolvement, player housing, and Epics for all classes. As we are approaching done with the zones and cities, we have set a date for an Open Beta. While this Beta is in progress, the regular WR will be "down", in the sense that your normal characters will be unaccessable, and nothing you do will save beyond the scope of the Beta. Instead, you will be able to create new characters to test with, that will have access to limited commands akin to /betabuff.
You will be needed to test cities, zones, and as the Beta progresses and we get more systems working, things such as Player Housing. Epic quests will not be available for testing during the Beta.
There is no special process required to partake in the Beta, and we would appreciate as many people as possible taking time to test the expansion. Once the Beta is over, all characters/accounts created during it will be wiped, and your normal characters will be able to access the expansion zones.
The beta will begin on the 25th of September. It will run approximately a week unless it's deemed necessary to extend the duration.
"It takes an idiot to do cool things... that's why it's cool" - Haruka, FLCL
BitHead0023
Blood Guard

Return to EverQuest