EverQuest II

Talk about EverCrack

Moderator: Moderators

EverQuest II

Postby Plague Lord » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:56 am

I reinstalled WOW this weekend and while I was waiting for the 5 hours of updates to complete I looked at EQII.

EQ1 sucked pretty badly the first few months. Like ultra badly, yet they brought that game around to be a huge success. So I figured, lets look at EQ2 and see whats cooking over there in SOE hell.

Well SOE has a free 1-6th level Island of refuge trail listed on there site. So I grabbed that and installed it. (increasing my patch time to like all night friday)

Sat morning comes along and I log into WOW and play till 3pm. Then I get off and come back 2 hours later to find a 200+ queue waiting for me. 20+ minute wait.

I figure eh lets check out that EQII trail, I want to play something now. So I get in, create my account(no CC # needed, it really was free) and log in. WOW this game isn't very pretty on my Ti4200. Wow it's REALLY laggy if I turn up the graphic settings. Err what's that artifacing and video errors.

Grrr driver update time.

So 10 minutes later I'm back in. Tweaked the performance settings and the games looking a tad better(still low end) and it's at least running a bit better.

I played a pair of characters up to 6th level. (1hr each) Game seemed pretty decent so far, but it certainly didn't look as nice as WOW does on my TI4200. Since it actually was 100% free I figured I let you all know in case someone else wanted to check out EQII without paying to see it.
Smith and Wesson 3:57: "And lo, the LORD did calleth down upon the unrighteous the fire, the brimstone, and the 120-grain hollowpoints. And the unrighteous did suffer the Hydroshok ammo, and did perish. And the LORD did sayeth, 'Not so lucky, eh punk?'. Amen."

http://www.IronStaff.net
Plague Lord
Blood Guard

Postby Despoiler » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:00 pm

I might check this out. The EQ1 has the Titanium Pack out now. $20 bucks for classic EQ plus ALL 10 expansions. Not to shabby. The leveling is supposed to be really fast now compared to back in the day. Still don't think I can check out either. School comes first.
Despoiler
Site Admin

Postby Plague Lord » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:42 pm

My main problem with all MMO's is that they are hugely time consuming and require hours on end to complete the higher level ends of the game.

Which is sadly why I never get there hehe. For alot of people it's a goal to get there, get the guild there, raid ect ect. For me the point in the game that requires grouping is usually the end game point for me. I just drop it and never come back again.

I mostly just wanted to check out EQ2 because of the success of the first one and people have claimed eye candy. Unfortunately not with my old ass card.
Smith and Wesson 3:57: "And lo, the LORD did calleth down upon the unrighteous the fire, the brimstone, and the 120-grain hollowpoints. And the unrighteous did suffer the Hydroshok ammo, and did perish. And the LORD did sayeth, 'Not so lucky, eh punk?'. Amen."

Plague Lord
Blood Guard

Postby Despoiler » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:37 pm

Time consuming is right. WoW was/is really cool, but the high level raiding is uber time consuming and boring as fuck. All you do is clear the dungeon, rinse, and repeat. It's fun trying to find the strategy to beat the dungeon, but after is just grinding for gear. I did it forever and didn't get jack really. Found the most of the Shaman in my guild are a bunch of favoritist bitches and they suck at the class even if they have full sets of uber gear. They think they are good of course.

I'd check out Guild Wars. It's as casual or as hardcore as you make it. It's free and it's fun. Runs good on older cards too.

That or Anarchy Online is free. I made a free account on that also.
Despoiler
Site Admin

Postby Windowlicker » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:11 am

i grabbed this last night. took forever
Windowlicker
Blood Guard

Postby Plague Lord » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:15 am

Yeah it's all misleading because it downloads off eq2.com all fast and then updates itself for 3 hours.

I didn't really like the art/look of guildwars. Reminded me alot of the engine used for UFO AfterMath.

Plague Lord
Blood Guard

Postby BitHead0023 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:42 pm

The graphics never really drew me to EQ2. WoW is arguably better looking anyway, even if the poly counts or whatever are lower. Anyway, that's all a distant second to gameplay and other issues. The thing that turned me off EQ2 right off the bat is how much they seemed to want to enforce grouping. WoW at least has an incredible 1-59 game, even solo, and is fun at 60 for a while at least. Unfortunately they fell into the same old trap of nothing much to do but raiding (and pvp'ing to a lesser extent) at the high-end (nothing new... should be better once the expansion comes out). EQ2 apparently started out wanting to follow the same old 'Vision' of EQ1, only to find out how much more successful WoW was and start to emulate that game (some solo content was supposedly added). Frankly I have no particular desire to go back to EQ anymore (this from someone who used to go back to that game ALL THE TIME when the next new thing didn't pan out). I'd rather start a new alt in WoW, or go back to some other old game for a bit (though few of those interest me anymore either). Strangely enough, I'm actually somewhat interested in FFXI again, despite my earlier problems, due mainly to some of what I've heard about the upcoming expansion. BLUE MAGES :) I'm spending a bit of time atm mucking around in the low levels of that again... just keeping my long-term expectations much lower this time.
"It takes an idiot to do cool things... that's why it's cool" - Haruka, FLCL
BitHead0023
Blood Guard

Postby Windowlicker » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:05 am

you know its not a bad game. I found it a way to waste time but its nothing that makes me want to pay them to continue playing.

nothing you can't find elsewhere
Windowlicker
Blood Guard

Postby Plague Lord » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:32 am

That was pretty much my feeling. It would be a good second MMO to play. There wasn't anything in the trial that made me go "damn I've gotta have it!" Mostly just ah another mmo, ok kill crap turn in for money, repeat.

The worste part about eq1 wasn't so much the grouping at low levels (cuz you could solo to 50ish) It was the retarded down times you had to endure to solo. You'd use up 85% of your HP/Mana just to kill one mob. Then you sit for 3 -4 minutes recharging.

I think wow did a great job using the cartooney art to sort of cover up there lack of video card melting eye candy, it also let a huge amount of people with only so so machines run wow in decent display setting modes. Though when EQ1 came out it actually forced a huge portion of it's user base to upgrade graphics cards. Eventually people ended up with so so machines that could play it, and then it got popular.

One area I though EQ2 beat out WOW in was spell effects. They just look better in EQ2 even on my crap ass video card. The other nice thing about it is well it's pretty empty. So the economy is fairly un effected by high level inflation and gold farming like WOW has been.

Plague Lord
Blood Guard

Return to EverQuest