Just picked up an XBox 360

Talk about Microsoft Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Just picked up an XBox 360

Postby Phobos » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:37 am

I had the opportunity to get a Premium bundle on saturday, and just got paid. I had the extra cash because of a LOT of overtime, and decided to take the plunge. I will give my initial impressions.

With the system itself, I am very impressed. I thought I knew what the system had to offer (I knew the specs, the graphics, etc..), but I did not know about the tiny things that the system does to make it a great engineering task.

At first, I plugged the system in, and it's huge power brick. I located the XBox in my entertainment center in one of the shelf cabinets, and fired it up. The "Ring of Light" around the power button was flashing all red, so I'm like. WTF. I then realised that the AV cable was not pushed all the way in, and as soon as I did that the system booted up fine.

The wireless controllers are done VERY well. The power button has 4 quadrants around it (+) , and as soon as you power on the Wireless Controller, it goes seeking for an XBox. The controller has the same quadrant setup as the Xbox itself, and glows just like the XBox. When it finds the 360, it assigns it a player number, and the controller lights up what quadrant your player is. So if you have two players pluged in, the 360 shows quadrants 1 & 2 lit up (The top half of the circle), and the individual controllers show the quadrant of there player numbers (Upper left, and upper right respectivly). It worked flawlessly, and I could get as far as about 25 feet away, and they still worked. Great presentation.
(

I went through the setup process, and entered in my Gamertag for XBox Live, and the system settings, etc. Worked great. It used NTP, and sync'ed the date and time, downloaded updates to XBox live, and put me on the dashboard very easily. I bought DOA4 because I liked the series, but decided to play around on XBox Live first. I downloaded demos of ESPN Fight Night: Round 3 (Worked great), downloaded trailers, and demos of a LOT of XBox launch titles. Everything worked great.

I Then played DOA3 single player one time through the story mode, and got the hang of it. I went on XBox Live to see how it worked online. I joined a room, and got into the match ladder, and waited my turn. As soon as it came up, I started fighting, and it worked great with no lag! Then somebody joined the room that was slow as hell, and the fighters start moving in slow motion because of the lag. The entire thing is synchronous, so if somebody is bringing you down that your fighting, get ready for Slo-Mo. It's not so bad, but could be alievated by actually using SERVERS instead of individual XBOX 360's to host the games. I hope they start doing this for better titles.

I promptly got my ass kicked a lot, and went back to preschool (ALA playing single player). The headsets voice-com works great, but i usually mute it because there are some smack talking 14 year olds out there that piss me off. Sometimes when i get a more mature crowd, it's a lot more fun, and chill.

Overall the hardware is very good, and the wireless connectivity, and general networkability of the system is it's claim to fame. The PS3 might have the edge up on developers for games at the moment, but the online connectivity of the beast is insane. If they get most of the people online to play, I can tell that this will be a contender for my game time versus the PC. The reason why I play a lot of PC games is for Internet Multiplayer. If Sony doesnt realize this, and Microsoft gets the majority of all titles on Live, it will be what the Dreamcast tried to do. I like teh fact that I dont have to have a buddy there for player 2, I can just go online, and play.

Worth it IMHO. The games are a bit lackluster at the moment, but in a month Fight Night comes out, and that game is absolutly awsone. I played the demo for 3 hours. It was just a demo.

Note
I read the manual, and it says if the XBox has the left half of the "Ring of Light" flashing red, it means the system has overheated!. It recommends turning the machine off, and putting it in a different location.

Now this means they knew that the machine was a hot mutherfucker. I actually had to remove it from a cabinet of my entertainment center because it felt like a hair dryer in there. It was extremly hot.

To get an idea of how hot this thing runs, I have some Dual Processor DL360 G4p servers at work, and they put out about the same amount of heat. This thing gets hot. Put it in the open, with plenty of air flow above and around it, and your fine. Put it in a cubby, and your fucked.
Last edited by Phobos on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phobos
Dominator

Postby Plague Lord » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:03 am

Wow, to bad probably half the people on the planet want to put it inside a cubby.

Wonder what's on it for heat disapation stock.
Smith and Wesson 3:57: "And lo, the LORD did calleth down upon the unrighteous the fire, the brimstone, and the 120-grain hollowpoints. And the unrighteous did suffer the Hydroshok ammo, and did perish. And the LORD did sayeth, 'Not so lucky, eh punk?'. Amen."

http://www.IronStaff.net
Plague Lord
Blood Guard

Postby Phobos » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:37 pm

Dont get me wrong, I like the fact that it puts out a lot of heat (Shows how powerful the machine really is). But for christ sake please put it in bold letters, right on the first page, This system gets hot! put it out in the open, with no airflow restrictions in front, or behind it!. The sentence I quotes was on page 47 or something like that. Also in the second paragraph, underneath a general troubleshooting page (Call me an Uber geek for actually reading the manual). After reading complaints online, I highly doubt it that it's the "Power Brick" that's overheating (I mean, come on. How many times has a computers Power Supply overheated). It's the system, the system is overheating. Mine works fantastic (Played it 6 hours straight when I first got it). I dont know how this system will hold up in 90 Degree humid weather in Texas. That may be some of the issues as well.

If you look at the articles where they tear it down, it's got a massive nickle heatsink like quality servers. If it had poor airflow, baffles, or heat spreaders, it would not put out heat (Food for thought). So it cools great, but you still have to do something with all that heat.
Phobos
Dominator

Postby Plague Lord » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:23 pm

Alot of electronics will just plain radiate heat. No fan ect needed.

Given the size of the unit the heat sink looks pretty decently sized. No idea what RPM/CFM those two fans are though. Unit probably just eventually heat soaks the cubby.

Wonder if there will be a market for a clip on "heat tunnel" so you could actually at least pipe the exhaust out of the entertainment center backing material.
Smith and Wesson 3:57: "And lo, the LORD did calleth down upon the unrighteous the fire, the brimstone, and the 120-grain hollowpoints. And the unrighteous did suffer the Hydroshok ammo, and did perish. And the LORD did sayeth, 'Not so lucky, eh punk?'. Amen."

http://www.IronStaff.net
Plague Lord
Blood Guard

Return to XBox/Xbox 360